Dental braces are devices that will be used by orthodontists to align and make the teeth straight in accordance with the client’s bites. The bites will also help in improving the dental health by correcting underbites, malocclusion, overbite, open bite, cross bite, and crooked teeth, among other dental flaws.
There are cosmetic and structural braces and any of these will be used together with other appliances as the orthodontist will deem fit. You will be able to get a more attractive smile after the use of the braces. A brace will consist of the following:
- Brackets: these are the metallic links that will be glued to every tooth
- Arch wire: this is a long, thin wire that will be used in connecting the brackets. It will ensure that your teeth pull toward each other so that they can achieve the right alignment.
- Glue: This is usually mouth-friendly and will ensure that the teeth are properly glued to the brackets.
- Ligature elastics: they are available in different colors and you will be free to choose your desired color. Their main use is to connect the wire with the brackets so that the right alignment can be achieved. Whenever you visit the orthodontist, he will tighten the ligature elastic so that the right end results can be achieved.
- Spacers: these can be uncomfortable as they will be placed between the teeth.
After an orthodontist has successfully put the braces in place, they will put pressure on the teeth and push them towards attaining the right position. All the components of the brace will work together towards making your smile more beautiful which will, in turn, boost your self-confidence. Always ensure that the braces are installed by an experienced orthodontist so that you can be assured of positive results. You can ask for photos of past brace applications before the application so that you can gauge the quality if his services.